The coffee’s freshly ground, there’s a wide variety of teas and the sticky buns are homemade.
- “Stock markets have fallen in the US and Europe, led by bank shares, as worries over Spain re-emerged. The FTSE 100 dropped 1%, while Spain’s Ibex fell 3.6% and the Dow Jones in New York closed down 1%.”
- “The broken display cases at Greece’s Museum of Olympia, the site where the first Olympic Games were held thousands of years ago, have stunned members of the Archaeological Service who have been registering a stream of missing cultural artefacts.”
- TRNN: “Speculation and Criminal Manipulation of Food and Commodities Prices. Michael Greenberger: Weak regulations on speculators swamping markets and lack of enforcement of existing laws on criminal intent, are driving up prices.”
- TRNN: “Global North VS South Over Financialization of Food. Vijay Prashad: US and West fighting BRIC and other southern countries that want limits on speculation on food.”
- “The front-runners in France’s presidential election have held rival mass rallies in the capital, Paris, a week before the first round of voting.”
- “Dozens of international pro-Palestinian activists have been refused entry into Israel in a large-scale security operation that ensured a high profile for the protesters’ attempted show of solidarity with the people of the West Bank. About 650 police officers, some in plain clothes, patrolled Ben Gurion airport on Sunday ready ‘to prevent disturbances and disruption’, according to police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld.”
- “Shells pummelled the war-ravaged city of Homs yesterday in a flagrant breach of the country’s shaky ceasefire just hours before an advance team of UN observers arrived to monitor the truce.”
- TRNN: “Bahrain Protestors Clash with Police at Citizen Journalist’s Funeral. Reem Khalifa: Brutal repression of democracy movement continues as F1 race will go ahead in Bahrain.”
- “A summit of nearly 30 Western Hemisphere leaders has ended without a joint declaration due to divisions over Cuba and Argentine claims to the Falkland Islands. ‘There is no declaration because there is no consensus,’ said Juan Manuel Santos, the Colombian president, at the summit’s closing news conference.”
- “Some glaciers on Asia’s Karakoram mountains are defying the global trend and getting thicker, say researchers.”
WBAI-FM, New York: Richard Wolff’s weekly Economic Update. How our economic system impacts our psychology. Scroll down to Saturday, 14 Apr, 12:00pm.
The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off.